Is everyone as excited as me to have 7th month to go away as fast as possible so that we can welcome lunar 8th month to come by?
Don't you guys are as excited as me to eat MOONCAKE on this special month?
Only once a year~!
Seeing all the pretty mooncakes on the shelves of famous hotel and all the pretty pictures of mooncake all over the net made me really happy indeed~
hahaha~ what a glutton me >.<"
But most importantly, I have a yearly "event" (made it sound grand) held in my house~!
A little gathering with my best friends at my house to make mooncake~
To be honest, though the making of mooncake is a yearly event in my house, we haven't really succeeded throughout all these 2 years. Either the skin of the mooncake crack or the shape turns out really ugly.
Although the happiness of the get around is the most important part, the thought of the failure mooncake is such an disappointment. -.-Zzzzz
This year which is the 3rd year ,i decided to do a research on how to make mooncake~!!
Need to STOP the failure!
It took me a real long time researching all over the net, watching youtube videos etc.
And it really succeeded! I am really glad that the hard work isn't wasted after all!
HEHE! Hearing all the praises around my friends and families made me really happy!
Gonna share the recipe with YOU!
So that u can make mooncake too~
It's shown at the bottom of this post~
don't you feel this pig is so adorable staring at you? ^.^
HEHEHE~ my cute turtle mooncake~
i think this two piggy look like couple~
I will be putting up the best recipe that i search from all over the net~
So it is a TRIED and TESTED recipe~
So u guys can really try out this recipe and tell me the results okay?
Hope it will be as successful as mine~!
I tried making pig mooncake and my newly invented Turtle mooncake~
I guess no one will ever thought of making Turtle mooncake~
LOL! just the fun of it as I have a pet terrapin ~!
Traditional Mooncakes Recipe
(adapted from Happy Home Baking but i made a little modification)
(makes 12~13 mini mooncakes)
100g plain flour ( I used Hong Kong Flour)
70g golden syrup (I used Abram Lyle's Golden Syrup)
2ml alkaline water
25ml peanut oil (I replaced with sunflower oil)
415g lotus paste/red bean paste/green tea lotus paste
40g melon seeds
For the egg wash:
1 yolk + 1 tsp of water lightly beaten and strain
- Mix lotus paste with melon seeds. Divide the filling into 35g portions and shape into balls. Set aside. (Note: I used a dough: filling ratio of 3:7, for 50g mooncake mould)
- Place golden syrup in a bowl. Add in alkaline water, stir to combine. Add in oil, mix well.
- Place plain flour in a mixing bowl,make a well in the centre. Add in the above mixture. Mix with a spatula to form a soft dough. Gently knead the dough till smooth (takes 1~2 mins). Shape it into a smooth round dough. Wrap with cling wrap and leave in fridge to rest for at least 2 hours or over night ( I leave it in the fridge overnight) . This step is known as 醒面.
- Dust work surface with some flour. Give the dough a few light kneading to smooth it.
- Divide dough into 15g pieces. Shape each dough into a ball. Roll each dough over some flour. Dust hand with flour and flatten each dough into a small disc (about 5cm in diameter). Wrap it around the filling and shape it into a ball. (always dust hand with some flour to avoid the dough from sticking).
- Lightly dust the wrapped dough with some flour. Place it in the mooncake mould (plastic mould is better for beginner than wooden mould )and press the mooncake out. Place mooncake on a baking tray line with parchment paper.
- Spray some water on the mooncakes. (Note: this helps to prevent the mooncake from cracking during baking.)
- Bake at preheated oven at 180degC for 10mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15mins (do not skip this step).
- Brush the top with some egg wash. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 15mins until golden brown (since all oven works differently, do check after 10mins, and subsequently every other 2 mins to make sure the mooncakes are not over browned).
- Leave mooncake to cool completely and store in air tight containers. Wait for 2 ~ 3 days for the mooncakes to 回油 (for the skin to soften) before serving.
**DO take note of the points highlighted in RED~!**
Follow the recipe above and u can make different shape to the dough and fillings u have created~!
Time to show your creativity instead of the boring square/ circle shape mooncake~!
Make ANIMALS Mooncake~
I LOVE IT! :)
Steps of pig mooncake recipe adapted from Anncoojournal
There is a video made to show u how to make the pig moocake~!
Do take a look at her webpage! It is amazing~!
And of course steps on how to make a turtle mooncake!
heheheh! this is so easy to make!
DO try them~
Hope this year Mid-Autumn Festival will be a fun day for you and your family to get together to eat some mooncake, drink some tea under the BIG round moon ~
And DO try making the cute mooncake~ It's so fun~